Thursday, November 8, 2012

EAT, WORKOUT AND REST!

I’m sick! I hate being sick! Hate it! 

It has been a week since the whole thing started and it’s giving me a hard time. I’m not able to go to gym and I’m missing it like crazy. Yes, I know how silly I sound. But that’s how I feel. So to keep me sane I have to constantly remind myself that even the bad things are good for something and that I should just think of this forced break as my recovery week. So the whole thing inspired me to write this post, about recovery and why is it so important in your training program. 

Firstly, let me say that your body actually repairs and strengthens itself in the time between your workouts not during your workout. So continuous vigorous training without the proper rest will not make you stronger but eventually can weaken your body and your immune system and can lead to overtraining syndrome. Nasty thing! And that is why including the recovery time in your training program is crucial. This is the time when the body adapts to the stress of exercise and the real training effect takes place. Exercise causes muscle tissue breakdown and the depletion of energy stores (glycogen stored in muscles) as well as fluid loss. Recovery time allows these to be replenished and the muscle tissue to be repaired. And that’s how you get stronger. 

There are two kinds of recovery you should include in your training program. Short-term recovery, also called active recovery, which is the time immediately after exercise and the following days. It is advised to engage in light activities during this time, like walking and so on. This will benefit your performance. Long-term recovery means that it is beneficial include few days of total rest in your fitness program as well as change the program structure every now and then. Take a week off from workout every 6-8 weeks. You will not only feel rested after such a break but also your motivation will get kick-started again and you will feel hungry for workout. And to help your recovery make sure you get plenty of good quality sleep, drink enough of water and eat enough protein every day. 



So here I am, sitting in the bed sick and resting. :)
And there is nothing better than my homemade spicy chicken broth with a lot of veggies and lean chicken. This will help me to get well for sure! 

Have a lovely day everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment